Date:      Mon, 9 May 2005 17:20:11 GMT
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/80830: WRONG!!! VolumeID on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

The following reply was made to PR i386/80830; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To: Nick Barkas <Linux4sure@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/80830: WRONG!!! VolumeID on FreeBSD
 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:20:46 +0300

 On Mon, 9 May 2005 16:52:33 GMT
 Nick Barkas <Linux4sure@gmail.com> wrote:

 >=20
 > >Number:         80830
 > >Category:       i386
 > >Synopsis:       WRONG!!! VolumeID on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       critical

 This ain't critical nor has a high priority.

 > >Responsible:    freebsd-i386
 > >State:          open
 > >Quarter:       =20
 > >Date-Required:
 > >Class:          maintainer-update

 Are you the maintainer of the isos or ?

 Please submit proper problem reports:
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/index.h=
 tml

 > >Submitter-Id:   current-users
 > >Arrival-Date:   Mon May 09 17:00:25 GMT 2005
 > >Closed-Date:
 > >Last-Modified:
 > >Originator:     Nick Barkas
 > >Release:       =20
 >   Hello I am Nick and I use GNU/Linux for everyday work.I downloaded the =
 four 5.3 iso=B4s and started to burn discs 1 and 2 with K3b (burn iso image=
  option).When K3b starts the burn iso image dialog it reports various .iso =
 file info (Filesize,System Id,Volume Id,Preparer Id,Application Id,md5).Sud=
 denly I noticed reporting =A8VolumeId : fbsd_miniinst=A8 and I imediatelly =
 understood that there was something wrong.
 >   The old 5.2-RELEASE .iso=B4s would come in handy again.I checked all 8 =
 iso=B4s with K3b and UNFORTUNATELY THE Volume Id IN 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.=
 iso WAS WRONG (fbsd_miniinst INSTEAD of fbsd_boot).(ALL THE REST ISOS WHERE=
  OK).I have all the iso cd-dvd specs but have not the time to read them rig=
 ht now.
 >   I hope there is a FIX FOR THIS .ISO FILE (A PATCH MAYBE ?? OR SOMETHING=
  SIMILAR) as it would be a waste of time to download it all over again.Sadl=
 y,I did not came up with a quick solution to share it with you.

 Anyway if you are right and 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso has VolumeId :
 fbsd_miniinst there's nothing it can be done now. For finding out how to
 modify the volume id of the iso, please post on questions@ (one idea is
 to extract the boot code, mount the iso, create a new iso with the new
 volume id, add the boot code and burn it). Or wait a few days for 5.4
 Release. Frankly I don't understand why you bother with this.

 --=20
 IOnut
 Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"