Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:52:58 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade@b1t.name>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How can I recover data from a faulted pool?

=D0=90=D0=BB=D0=B5=D0=BA=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BD=D0=B4=D1=80 =D0=9F=D0=BE=D0=B2=
=D0=BE=D0=BB=D0=BE=D1=86=D0=BA=D0=B8=D0=B9 wrote:
> Hello
>
> FreeBSD 10.3. ZFS.
>
>  # zpool status
>   pool: database
>  state: UNAVAIL
> status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent
> errors.  There are insufficient replicas for the pool to
>         continue functioning.
> action: Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source. Manually
> marking the device
>         repaired using 'zpool clear' may allow some data to be recovere=
d.
>   scan: none requested
> config:
>
>         NAME               STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         database           UNAVAIL      0     0     0
>           mirror-0         UNAVAIL      0     0     0
>             gpt/database0  FAULTED      0     0     0  too many errors
>             gpt/database1  FAULTED      0     0     0  too many errors
>
> disks can be read, can I somehow recover data from the pool?

For sure... First please describe what happened to both disks and what=20
hardware you were using (chipset/controller). Please don't try to `zpool =

clear` yet.

1. ZFS *HEAVILY* relies on hardware to be stable, any hardware glitches=20
may result in severe pool corruption. If you have any doubts in hardware =

first move the disks to the trusted box.

2. I assume both mirror parts were on different disks? ZFS doesn't like=20
pools that have more then one chunk on any drive.

3. Try mounting pool R/O with transaction recovery. While this is mirror =

please do this for both disks and give it another try for single disks=20
as results may differ:

`zpool import -N -O readonly=3Don -f -R /mnt/somezpoool =E2=80=A6`

You can use mfsBSD for that.

If that doesn't help try:

`zpool import -N -O readonly=3Don -f -R /mnt/somezpoool -Fn =E2=80=A6`

Both commands will try to import the pool without mounting file systems=20
in r/o mode. If that would work, try mounting only required filesystem=20
and copy some data from it.

Please post your results.

--=20
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.