Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:23:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Idea: using CVSUP to mirror websites accross multiple servers... opinions?

I was just thinking of a way to effectively mirror content accross
multiple webservers in a load-sharing environment. The webservers are
accessed through a single caching machine running in http-acceleration
mode. Some sites must run mod_perl and access MySQL databases; these
servers do not serve any static content, but are called from the same
urls as the static content is, (using re-directs on the cachine
machine based on the filename called for eg *.pl). The images, and
static pages however must be serviced from any one of many possible
webservers, thus creating a redundant environment which can easily
adapt to load balance. The problem now of course being the replication
of the data held on the multiple servers.
    I was figuring on keeping a single FTP server for the master copy
and then replicating the data accross multiple machines. I'd rather
copy than use NFS; so there would not be a single point of failure,
(eg: a drive on the ftp server croakes). I was thinking of using
rsync; but from the way I understand it rsync just re-downloads the
entire tree? Could I not use CVSUP to accomplish the replication of
the data? As-in un a CVS server from the FTP server machine, and have
the webservers sync the trees they need? Any issues with using CVS and
image files? Or binaries alltogether? Any ideas or suggestions for a
better method for data replication and synchronization?

--
Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com