Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>, <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: install troubles right at the beginning

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Michael A. Smith writes:
>  > I've done lots of FreeBSD/i386 installs and several Linux/alpha installs,
>
> There have historically been some problems installing on machines that
> used to run linux.  I've never heard of of waht you're seeing before,

> I suspect there may be some problem with the disklabel on the drive
> you're attempting to install onto.  Hmm.. Are these disks with msdos

	I had this problem trying to install DEC Unix 4.0 on a disk that
had been fdisked with Linux.  Disklabel would fail.  I'd imagine *BSD
could have a similar issue.

> install FreeBSD on by dd'ing /dev/zero over the first meg or so of it
> before you attempt to install.

	And I think that's how we eventually had to fix the problem
(essentially completely destroy the old label / partition info.)

--
Jameel Akari

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f $zig; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1