Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 14:03:24 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        dima@best.net, cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca, assar@sics.se, mohacsi@fsz.bme.hu, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberos 5 or Kerberos IV or DCE?

> It was Dima Ruban who wrote:
> > Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group writes:
> > > I've had KRB5 beta 6 through 1.0.3 running on FreeBSD for over a year.  T
he
> > > only problem is that the Kerberos distribution doesn't perform lastlogin
under
> > > FreeBSD, because FreeBSD does not have a lastlog.h (the struct is defined
 in
> > > utmp.h).  A small patch fixes this.  I'll be submitting this to MIT when
I get
> > > a chance (probably this weekend).
> >
> > I've already done that. It's gonna be (hopefully) included with the
> > next release.
> > Meanwhile, I can put my krb5 patches on my ftp site, if anybody is interest
ed.

> > And, by the way, lastlog stuff is not the only problem.

The problems we've had with Kerberos have not been platform specific.  These
problems occur on each platform we use it on, not just FreeBSD.  I've found
that the ANL patches fix most of them.  I'd be interested to see your patches
too.

I've found that the lastlog problem is the only problem specific to FreeBSD,
as all others we've encountered occur on other platforms as well.  A solution
to this problem would be to move the lastlog struct from utmp.h to a new
lastlog.h and have utmp.h reference lastlog.h.  This would make FreeBSD
conform to Solaris, SunOS, DEC UNIX, AIX, and Linux which do have one.

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."