Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:03:21 -0800
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, committers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc-2.7.2.2? Re: ports freeze in 9 1/2 hours

Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I'm voting strongly against making g77 the default fortran compiler.
> f2c is far more mature, believe me. And it has a much longer history.
>
> What were the arguments for g77 ? - sorry I missed the start of this
> thread.

The reason was that it is developed side by side with gcc and they can
be maintained easier together. g77 seems to be based on f2c so there's
little argument in discussing their history. While f2c produces code for
any C compiler, g77 optimizes the code to work with the specific GNU
tools.
This will be left for latter (if, and only if, g77 works well). No one
wants to ruin the Release with experiments.

Pedro.