Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:06:52 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
To:        Jonathan Dunfee <jdunfee@home.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jdunfee@acm.org
Subject:   Re: brandnew MEGA-SITEZ Toplist - Warez, Free-XXX, Drugs

At 01:16 PM 4/6/2001 -0500, Jonathan D. Dunfee wrote:
>I check and pop162-leg.mail.com is definitely relaying
>mail.

I generally don't reply re: 'spam' on mailing lists, but this question is
valid and should be answered:

>Is there someone who takes care of this?

http://www.mail-abuse.org/

RSS runs a database of open relays which are reported to them by the
Internet community.

They operate a 'DNS BLACKLIST' where mail admins can add hooks into their
MTAs which will check every incoming smtp connection and see if RSS has
listed the box as an open relay.  Such messages are discarded before they
ever hit a user's spool.

There are other such lists of this nature... ORBS being the biggest one
that I can think of.