Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:03:16 -0400
From:      Alexander Seth Jones <ajones@ctron.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   DMA and autoinitialize

I'm writing a device driver for an audio card and would like to
autoinitialize the DMA.  Right now, I do this using isa_dmastart.
However, I don't see any routines to grab the data periodically to place
it in a buffer inside my driver.  I can't use isa_dmadone, because if a
bounce buffer is being used, it'll flag it as not being used anymore, so
I won't be able to get anymore data.  What makes things tough is that
the interrupt on the card is not tied to DMA in hardware, so I have to
poll the DMA controller periodically to see how many bytes I can
transfer over to an internal buffer.

  I looked through all the drivers and didn't see anybody even doing any
autoinitialization, nor did I see a routine to periodically grab stuff
from the DMA buffer (2.1.5-RELEASE)  Does such a routine exist? or will
I have to write one? or can someone suggest another way to approach
this?

  Thanks.

--
Alex Jones              |  ajones@ctron.com