Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:35:39 -0500
From:      Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie@outstep.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAC OS X connection to FreeBSD?

Greetings All,

Being a long time Linux user and now looking into moving over to
FreeBSD, I decided to so some research on the web to try and get a
better idea as to the strengths and weaknesses as compared to other
operating systems like Linux (Fedora, Gentoo, etc..), OpenBSD, NetBSD,
and Opensolaris.

 From what I have found, FreeBSD seems to be at the very top in almost
every way.

In my Internet travels, I came across a site that has this MAC OS X (
which I guess is called Darwin?) at:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

and have noticed that they seem to have built the MAC OS X from a core
of FreeBSD 5.x.

Do I read this correctly?

Also, what are the differences between MAC OS X and Darwin?

The reason that I ask all of this stuff is because if we were going to
take a distro to start building from as a base for a project that we are
working on then would it make more sense to take the latest FreeBSD 6.1
or the MAC OS X (Darwin) as the base since there has been a great amount
of work on both distros and they are also both BSD based?

I guess that I am still a little confused on some of these things and
hope that some one can help to answer some of my newbie questions.

Thanks and have a good day,
Lonnie T. Cumberland
OutStep Technologies Incorporated
Tel: 866-425-7010