Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:57:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Subject:   Dillon controversial again

Matt, it looks like you're the hot topic again.  According to imdb's Movie
and TV News:

---
Anger Over Dillon Film

Hollywood hunk Matt Dillon's directorial debut City Of Ghosts has caused
anger amongst Asians - because of its portrayal of Cambodian women.
Arizona State University Professor Melinda De Jess says, "We thought it
was very racist and problematic. Cambodia is a backdrop here for a story
of white masculinity. There are almost no other representations of
Cambodian women except as prostitutes in this film." Drugstore Cowboy star
Dillon wrote and directed the movie, and also plays a con-man who travels
to Cambodia to collect a share of an insurance scam. The professor
confronted Dillon at a question-and-answer session following the film, and
says, "He completely freaked out. He called me a 'paratrooper of political
correctness.' He kept yelling, 'This is the truth about Cambodians!'"
Dillon counters, "They saw the film and said they didn't like the way the
women were portrayed - the characters who were prostitutes. They offered
me some books to read. Women's studies or something. I think they were
being a little too politically correct."
---

Tsk tsk tsk... :)