Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 23:35:43 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up partitions

Apologies if this is considered a generic Unix question, but:

I'm about (in the next week or so) to set up a FreeBSD box. A Pentium
with 16Mb RAM and initially 1Gb of SCSI HD.

It's going to be running (at the moment) as low loaded HTTP/FTP/GOPHER
server, supporting about 30 users (although only ever 2 or 3 at any one
time).

However, within the next four months it should become a major WWW
server, needing to support upwards of 10,000 hits a day. At this point
i'll be upgrading the memory to at least 32Mb, and probably adding extra
disk partitions.

Has anyone got any pointers to a 'good' partitioning scheme for this? I
was planning on roughly 25Mb for '/', at least 64Mb for 'swap', 150Mb
for '/home' and the rest for '/usr' (maybe subdividing '/usr' and
'/usr/src' into two seperate partitions.

How easy is it to change the slice information once a disk has got info
on it? If, say, I wanted to increase the swap space from 64 to 128? Or
do I have to back everything up, re-slice and then restore?

Cheers for any assistance,

=-[Opinion, n: See the above text for an example]=-=[Kibo #: e]-[RYRYRY]=-=
=-[The Silly Sod Society: To perfect and to swerve]=-[beable]-=[TP U BG]=-=
Perfect day for scrubbing the floor and other exciting things.