Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:50:55 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Benny Au <ou.benny@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: speed of PPPoE

On Monday 03 July 2006 06:11, Benny Au wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The speed of PPPoE in FreeBSD is slower than in Windows XP. and
> sometimes I have to wait for a moment to visit the same web site
> again.

Is your name server setup correct?
check /etc/resolv.conf and use nslookup to check if everything is
correct. Be sure that the first name server in /etc/resolv.conf
is responding fast.

> It won't disconnect but it works not stably. Could you tell me
> how to configure the ppp and let it run fast?
> Thanks!

try something like this while downloading at full rate:
netstat -I $external_iface -w 1
(hint: If you use ppp(8) external_iface will be a tun device)
or
systat -ifstat

What numbers do you get, and what numbers do you expect?

HTH, Nikos