Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:36:43 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/sbin/ppp and asymmetric cable modem routing

> I just had another thought - since I'm dialing the PPP connection, do I
> really need natd, or will the NAT stuff in /usr/sbin/ppp do the job for me?
>
> Will /usr/sbin/ppp notice that the "returning" packets are coming in via a
> NIC card instead of over the modem?

No.

Ppp won't see the incoming packets and therefore won't be able to do
anything with them :-I

Natd is the right way to go.  I would have thought it works - what does
your setup look like ?  Are you using ``ipfw ... divert ...'' on both
interfaces, diverting both to the same natd, and have you got the
same IP number assigned to both interfaces ?

The problem here as I see it is not if natd will work, but if the
machine will be able to handle things properly.  I would have thought
the show-stopper would happen when the machine tried to create a
temporary route to the target machine based on the interface that an
incoming packet from that machine arrived on....

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;