Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:41:32 +0100
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: OPENSSH REMOTE ROOT COMPROMISE ALL VERSIONS

## Robin Smith (rasmith@aristotle.tamu.edu):

> Whatever the credibility of this advisory, it seems the issue is handled
> just by turning on privilege separation.

If there was an exploit, an attacker shouldn't get root on your box
but user sshd chroot()ed to /var/empty. This lessens the impact of
bugs, but they don't vanish this way.

> (2) Can anyone tell me any reason not to turn it on (apart from a few
> additional entries in the process table)?  It's off in the default FreeBSD
> 4.7 config.

It's on. OpenSSH >=3.4 hast priviledge seperation on by default and
can be configured to the old behaviour by setting "UsePrivilegeSeparation no"
(which is commented out in FreeBSD's config.

Regards,
cmt

--
Spare Space