Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:57:37 +0100
From:      Abel Mayal <am50@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Installation of FreeBSD with CD-Rom

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01BFD9D4.CCA0FD20

Good Morning everone,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD in an 486 at 33 MHz computer, with 400 Mb =
of Hard Disk and 16Mb of RAM. This computer has a CD-ROM and is =
connected to its own IDE disk controller.
I have the installation cd-rom of FreeBSD 3.3 and also a Boot Floppy =
disk to install FreeBSD.
I don't want to make any partition at all, I just want to have the hole =
hard disk dedicated to FreeBSD.
I started the instalation inserting the floppy disk and rebooting the =
computer. It comes up a menu and I choose "Start Kernel configuration in =
full-screen visual mode". I check the configuration of the computer and =
there is a few conflicts due to not having any network card. I aso =
realised that it doesn't find any CD-ROM (sony, mistsubisy, panasonic) =
BUT it finds the wdc0 that is the main hard drive and wdc1 that is the =
disk controller board where de cd-rom is connected. I follow the =
installation and everything is OK until it reaches the menu that ask you =
where do you want to install freeBSD from. I select CD-Rom but it says =
that it couldn't find any CD-ROM connected (WHAT!!!!!). I don't know how =
to tell Free-BSD that my CD-Rom is connected to a disk controller board =
(IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller, wdc1). Can anyone help me please?

Thank you very much in advance.

abel

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01BFD9D4.CCA0FD20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good Morning everone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm trying to install FreeBSD in an 486 =
at 33 MHz=20
computer, with 400 Mb of Hard Disk and 16Mb of RAM. This computer has a =
CD-ROM=20
and is connected to its own IDE disk controller.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have the installation cd-rom of =
FreeBSD 3.3 and=20
also a Boot Floppy disk to install FreeBSD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't want to make any partition at =
all, I just=20
want to have the hole hard disk dedicated to FreeBSD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I started the instalation inserting the =
floppy disk=20
and rebooting the computer. It comes up a menu and I choose "Start =
Kernel=20
configuration in full-screen visual mode". I check the configuration of =
the=20
computer and there is a few conflicts due to not having any network =
card. I aso=20
realised that it doesn't find any CD-ROM (sony, mistsubisy, panasonic) =
BUT it=20
finds the wdc0 that is the main hard drive and wdc1 that is the disk =
controller=20
board where de cd-rom is connected. I follow the installation and =
everything is=20
OK until it reaches the menu that ask you where do you want to install =
freeBSD=20
from. I select CD-Rom but it says that it couldn't find any CD-ROM =
connected=20
(WHAT!!!!!). I don't know how to tell Free-BSD that my CD-Rom is =
connected to a=20
disk controller board (IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller, wdc1). Can anyone =
help me=20
please?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you very much in =
advance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>abel</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01BFD9D4.CCA0FD20--