Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:01:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joerg@krdl.org.sg (Joerg Micheel)
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, marcs@znep.com, imp@village.org, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solaris is free.

> > My guess is that Sun is beginning to feel the heat from FreeBSD and
> > Linux. Last time I looked very few people we running Solaris on X86. Mayby
> > they are starting to worry about all those older Sparc's running NetBSD.

If they were selling SunOS for $10 instead of Solaris, then you
might have a point.  I think there is a lot of Sun hardware running
NetBSD because people are nostalgic for the feel of the old SunOS.

> But too late. There was a proposal by Larry Wall back at the beginning
> of the 1990's to free SunOS source to prevent splitting of the R&D
> community into all these niches, but in vain.
>
> Still interesting reading, from a historical point of view. I need to see
> whether I still have the copy around somewhere.

I think you mean Larry McVoy, back in 1994.

He tried to get Sun to release SunOS 4.x source code under GPL.  I
think Larry believes he got burned by Sun when they killed SunOS
in favor of Solaris, and mistakenly believes that GPL would have
somehow prevented that (ignoring the fact that Sun gets most of its
revenue from software, not hardware, and that SunOS, being derived
from UCB licensed code, can't be licensed under GPL because of the
GPL's "no other restrictions" clause conflicting with the UCB "calim
credit" clause).

Others have commented that Larry's perceived GPL fanatacism has
colored his outlook in a number of areas, perhps including the
LMBench microbenchmark suite favoring GPL'ed OS's over non-GPL'ed
OS's...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---