Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:26:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 w/DPT support

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> table.  Partition tables are an invention of Microsoft, and suffer

  Not quite.  Mostly an IBM invention.  After all, if Microsoft had really
designed it, do you think they would added multiple operating system
support?  In the Microsoft scheme of things, there is only one operating
system.

> from a number of limitations, including the geometry kludges that
> still give people a lot of headaches when installing FreeBSD.

  Kludges?  Most geometry problems occur with IDE drives with greater than
1024 cyclinders, and trying to use some space for a non-FreeBSd system.

> So why "dangerous"?  Because if you use it, you can't add any other
> partitions later.  Well, if you're using the whole disk for FreeBSD,
> you can't anyway.  One way or another, you need to repartition the
> disk, and if you want, you can then add a Microsoft partition table.
>
> I recommend using "dangerously dedicated" disks whenever possible.
> So, for that matter, does BSDI.
>
> Greg

Tom