Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:27:36 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk sys.mk'

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:21:38PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0102211415050.25100-100000@besplex.bde.org> Bru=
ce Evans writes:
> : I have changed my mind a bit about this.  MACHINE_CPU is not (yet?) nea=
rly
> : as fundamental as the other MACHINE_* variables.  It is currently just
> : a build option for libcrypto, so it could be handled like other build
> : options.
>=20
> So are you saying we should just toss a MACHINE_CPU ?=3D ${MACHINE_ARCH}
> in /etc/defaults/make.conf and be done with it.  If we did this, with
> a sys.mk transition period, we'd solve the long term problem of too
> many things in sys.mk while still allowing for this to move forward.

Well, it's not ?=3D ${MACHINE_ARCH} because on the alpha it should be
(at least) 'ev4'.  You'd need to stick the current logic from sys.mk
in /etc/make.conf or some other universally-used makefile --
personally I don't care where it ends up as long as it works.

=2Eif ${MACHINE_ARCH} =3D=3D "i386"
MACHINE_CPU     ?=3D      i386
=2Eelif ${MACHINE_ARCH} =3D=3D "alpha"
MACHINE_CPU     ?=3D      ev4