Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:09:49 -0600
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: static ip address and ifconfig

On 2012-12-29 12:45, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:

>>> Nope 10.0.2.15 is a private lan IP address, its not public
>>> routable.
>>> question has to be answered by some body who has multiple static
>>> public routable ip address assigned by their ISP.
>> The presented example simply shows a typical ifconfig output.
>> On the "inet" line, you can see the assigned IP addresses.
>> As per definition, one interface can be assigned more than
>> one IP address, and maybe those will show in the ifconfig
>> output - however, this depends on your actual setup, for
>> example when you have specific network gear that "translates"
>> one or more static IP addresses into local addresses that
>> are _then_ assigned to individual network interfaces.
>> However, at my old location I had assigned one static IP
>> address directly delivered to the NIC, and ifconfig did
>> show exactly that address.
>> Simply try "ifconfig" and show what it prints for YOU.
>>

> Yes I understand all that, but lets go deeper into difference between
> static and dynamic ip address assigned by the ISP.
>
> For anyone being a professional company who wants permanent presents
> on the internet will pay extra fees for static ip
> address because static ip address never change and this is required
> for
> domain name registration. Dynamic ip address are normally assigned by
> the
> ISP for home users having dsl or tv cable internet connections.
> Dynamic
> ip address can change and if used for domain name registration the
> users
> FQDN will no longer point to the correct host.
>
> Now to return to the original question.
> Say I am a professional company and my ISP assigned me 25 static ip
> address.
> What will ifconfig show me on the interface facing the public
> internet?
> Just the single primary static ip address or all 25 of them in a
> list?

It still all depends on your configuration, it won't look any different
than a static private IP address shows when doing an ifconfig except it
will be the public IP.  Generally if you have a static IP you will have
to set it manually, and it won't get it via DHCP.  But I have worked
with some DSL connections though that assigned the static IP through a
DHCP reservation based on your modem/routers MAC address.  However that
would only work for a single IP.  If you get 25, you can assign those
with aliases to make a single server answer on the others as well,
common for servers hosting multiple https web sites.

Here's an example with Aliases, its from a LAN with private range, but
would look no different except IPs if it was public range addresses.
This is from my web/email server (the very one this message comes from),
the secondary IP is for running jails, when testing upgrades.

LAN: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
9000

options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
         ether 00:07:e9:09:be:4f
         inet 192.168.5.21 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.5.255
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
         status: active

Here's an example from a public range, pulled this from my pfSense box,
which is on a Cable Connection with a block of 5 static IP Addresses.

vr1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500
	options=8280b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
	ether 00:0d:b9:1c:78:2d
	inet 24.240.198.186 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 24.240.198.191
	inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fe1c:782d%vr1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
	nd6 options=43<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
	status: active

There's just a single IP set, though it does relay connections on other
IPs, using proxy arp to do this so there is no need for an alias to be
defined.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer