Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named initial lookup?

I think it is not sendmail because I have previously disabled it. I got
a server running Slackware Linux (same version of bind) with sendmail
installed and also have a link on demand and I do not have this
problem. It is becoming hard to trace it, and I guess it might be an
option of named itself that is looking to resolve that "sticky" route.

Just one other question, since I am new at FreeBSD, I installed the
squid cache (and also qmail), and I see there is a squid.sh script that
is ran by rc.d at boot, but it does not really initiate squid nor
qmail. I made an rc.local file that started those services. WHere do I
enable them? Do I have to put some kind of squid_enable="YES" in
rc.conf? Same thing goes for qmail?
The qmail/squid.sh have a option start/stop, but where do I start them
in the boot scripts?

TIA

Paulo

--- Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:31:36AM -0700, Paulo Roberto wrote:
>
> > I have a on-demand link configured in freebsd, and every time the
> > system boots, when named starts, it sends a packet to the fake ip
> > (sticky route) port 53 (I made a firewall rule to block everything
> and
> > log so I could find what was going on) and initiates the dial.
> > Is it an initial check up from bind? Is there a way to disable
> this?
> > I even added this address to my database as localhost, so it
> wouldn?t
> > look this address up, put it did not worked, it still starts the
> dial.
>
> Could well be sendmail --- it does a bit of DNS work to establish
> it's
> own identity when it starts up.  Unfortunately you can't fake it via
> /etc/hosts as sendmail bypasses that and uses the DNS directly.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                       Savill Way
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
> Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH
UK