Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:51:10 +0300
From:      teo@gecadsoftware.com
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache problem

Hi Mario!
On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Mario Doria wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I don't think this list is the correct list to post this question, but I
> have to cover all ends...also, I did not have the following problem in
> linux; and I just migrated my server from linux to freebsd.
>
> My problem is with apache, I does not see my user/password file, even though
> I can see/read it whenever I want. I've fiddled with permissions, trying
> every combination but to no avail. The Apache server was installed from the
> ports collection, it is Apache13-modssl, added was mod-php4. Here goes, a
> part of my httpd.conf file:
>
> <Directory /www/tdigital/autores>
>         Options All
>         AllowOverride None
>         AuthType Basic
>         AuthName "Autores"
>         AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/apache/passwd/autores
>         AuthGroupFile /dev/null
>         Require valid-user
> </Directory>
>
> It all seems fine to me, I imported this from my old linux machine (running
> apache 1.3.19) and it worked just fine. But now I cannot get Apache to work
> again. Here's what appears on httpd-error.log:
>
> [Mon Jun 11 00:57:31 2001] [notice] Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) AuthMySQL/2.20
> PHP/4.0.5 mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6 configured -- resuming normal
> operations
> [Mon Jun 11 01:06:53 2001] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] (13)Permission
> denied: Could not open password file: /usr/local/etc/apache/passwd/autores

hey,
do a:
      grep 'User' /usr/local/etc/apache/conf/httpd.conf
to see under which user your web server is running, and after than ensure
that it can `execute' all directories down to /usr/local/etc/apache/passwd
and has read rights on autores

It might be that you gave proper rights on `autores' file, but it cannot
reach it due to improper directory rights down to it.

ciao

-- teodor