Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:09:18 +0200
From:      "Petr Holub" <hopet@ics.muni.cz>
To:        "Mark Linimon" <linimon@FreeBSD.org>, <fenner@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com
Subject:   RE: ports/74417: attempt to unbreak vic on FreeBSD 5.x

> Fixed by current maintainer around 2005/03/20.

Well, yes and no. The problem is that maintainer upgraded the vic
port and the new version doesn't work on any of my 5.x installations
because of some TCL-related problems with fonts. The following
is excerpt from my discussion with the maintainer:

> > after upgrade to 2.8.1.1.6 of the vic in FreeBSD ports, I'm getting
> > the following crash on vic startup:
>
> This may have to do with your font settings. Did you change anything other
> than the vic version? Something somewhere is set to `-12' instead of `12', I
> guess... Yours,
>
> 	-mi
>
> > stack trace:
> > expected integer but got "-12"
> >     (default value for "-font" in widget ".form.msg.label")
> >     invoked from within
> > "label $w.msg.label -font [mediumfont] -wraplength 4i  -justify left -text
> > "Please specify values for the following X resources.  These strings will
> > i..." (procedure "run_resource_dialog" line 7)
> >     invoked from within
> > "run_resource_dialog $name $email"
> >     (procedure "init_local" line 18)
> >     invoked from within
> > "init_local"
> >     (procedure "vic_main" line 7)
> >     invoked from within
> > "vic_main"
> > Please mail this error message and, if possible, an explanation
> > of what user-action caused it to vic@cs.ucl.ac.uk.
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> > Could you have a look into it? Do you need some more information from
> > me?

And yet another:

> > > This may have to do with your font settings. Did you change anything
> > > other than the vic version? Something somewhere is set to `-12' instead
> > > of `12', I guess... Yours,
> >
> > I thought that but actually I'm not aware of any such change :((.
> > It might have been done by some port upgrade, but definitely not
> > be me intentionally.
> >
> > Any clue on where to look for? (Like fontconfig, X resources?)
>
> Trouble is, I don't even use vic myself. I just made it compile cleanly...
>
> I would guess, there is config file somewhere. Do you know TCL/TK at all?
>
> I have not heard any other bug reports -- may be, you should contact the
> vendor with your problem? Try:
>
> 	http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/vic/
>
> If you do find a bug (in the port or in the software itself) --
> please, do let
> me know. Thanks!

But the old vic with my patch works just fine on the same configuration!
So I'm not happy with that situation and suggest to return to the original
version with either my patch or the patch mentioned from here:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=775830+0+archive/2005/freebsd-ports
/20050320.freebsd-ports
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/75066

With best regards,
Petr

                            Petr Holub
CESNET z.s.p.o.                       Supercomputing Center Brno
Zikova 4                             Institute of Compt. Science
162 00 Praha 6, CZ                            Masaryk University
Czech Republic                     Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ
e-mail: Petr.Holub@cesnet.cz               phone: +420-549493944
                                             fax: +420-541212747
                                       e-mail: hopet@ics.muni.cz