Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:38:33 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Loader Progress...

> The loader fails when it calls the "include" function to load the
> file: /boot/loader.rc
> I originally thought it was a problem with reading the data, but now
> I believe the call to "open" in the include function in
> common/interp.c is never returning. I am going to descent into the
> depths of libstand to insert debugging and see if I can locate the
> exact point of failure.

Don't bother with libstand, go straight to the libalpha code and see if
we're actually calling the SRM 'open' function more than once.  I suspect
that SRM may have issues with that.

> Does anyone have documentation on how to interface with the alpha
> bios to perform low level things such as reading blocks of data? I
> would like to verify that calls are being made properly.

The SRM ("bios") implementations typically have issues that are
interpretation; they comply with the specification, but fail in areas
outside it (since it's pretty vague about some of the assumptions that
one can or can't make).

> Finally, assuming that I do get this problem fixed, is there anyone
> specifically that I should be sending patches to?

As was previously mentioned, the freebsd-alpha list is probably the best
place.