Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:05:45 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Terry Allen <hmag@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD problem

Terry Allen wrote:

> Hi there,
>         I bought a copy of the FreeBSD 4.3 installation CD from
> www.everythinglinux.com.au last week & tried to install it this afternoon
> (I'm brand new to the world of installing UNIX, so please bear with me.
>         I set the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD (which it did), went
> through the installation up until it asked me to choose a media to install
> from.
>         The install from CD ROM option was outlined , so I hit enter, but
> the installer replied that the CD could not be found. I looked through the
> installation CD info files on my Mac, but couldn't find anything to help,
> so I wonder if anyone might be able to help out.
>         The PC details are as follows
>
> Motherboard: Slot1 / Socket 370 M741LMRT (includes onboard 10/100 ethernet
> & V90 56K Modem)
> CPU: Intel Celeron 533
> RAM: 128MB
> Hard drive: Seagate 20GB
> Monitor: LG Studioworks 55V 15"
> SCSI Card: Tekram DC-315/U PCI
> CD ROM: 44X speed

You don't mention the make/model of mobo. Is the CD-ROM attached to the
SCSI bus or IDE?
The hardware may simply be not compatible with FreeBSD. This can be
confusing until you understand that the BIOS boots the system, but once
it's running it's FreeBSD that needs to access the CD-ROM. Two things
you can do:
1. Get the make/model of the CD-ROM & mobo and compare to the hardware
compat list @ www.freebsd.org
2. Watch the boot messages and see if your CD-ROM is detected.
If it's not detected, you may be out of luck until you replace some
hardware. If you have an IDE CD-ROM now, you may find better luck with a
SCSI CD-ROM.

Good luck,
Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?