Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:25:55 +0100
From:      Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        Enrico Giakas <Enrico.Giakas@ccrle.nec.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD security ML <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Juniper firewall

Am 22.11.2001 um 17:08:16 schrieb Enrico Giakas:

Hi Enrico,

> Try the NEC SOCKS5-Proxy Firewall (it is free) from the site:
> http://www.socks.nec.com/cgi-bin/download.pl

thanks for the hint. Isn't Socks like NAT with authentication (in the result)?
Does Socks offer any kind of filtering on the application-layer?
Am I wrong in my assumption that a "real" application proxy can offer more
security e.g. by not allowing to misuse open ports for any app on non-standard
ports?

/ch

--
Wieviele Mitarbeiter von Microsoft benoetigt man fuer das auswechseln
einer defekten Gluehbirne? Keine, Microsoft erklaert die Dunkelheit zum