Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 20:41:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Miller <joup@bigfoot.com>
To:        FreeBSD user <freebsd@xtremedev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting fam to work w/ kde2.2.1

*KDED* needs fam (the File Alteration Monitor), I believe (sorry, I should
have clarified).  If there's no fam, starting kde can take upwards of 5-10
minutes while kded figures out that fam isn't there.  Killing kded during
this time will cause kde's startup to proceed as normal.

But all of that's kind of a side-issue: I've got fam running now, and I'm
much happier with startup times (for both kde itself and kde apps).  So,
1) is it possible to run fam sans portmap, and
2) what are the security risks of running portmap for this sole purpose?

Thanks for your help,
Mark