Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 1995 22:19:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: W32/Tseng PCI Card and X11R6

From:	HOOVER::ANDRSN       "Annelise Anderson"  4-OCT-1995 22:12:51.64
To:	IN%"pechter@shell.monmouth.com"
CC:	IN%"questions-freebsd@freebsd.org",ANDRSN
Subj:	RE: W32/TSeng PCI Card and X11R6

>I'm copying this to questions to see if anyone else is having this problem
>besides the two of us.

>> I have a Tseng/W32 PCI VGA Card which doesnt seem to agree with
>> X completely.  By that i mean with the XF86_SVGA driver linked to X,
>> I get a fair amount of little horizontal lines and .'s that appear all over
>> the screen, like its got the measles of something...  If I use the VGA16
>> driver instead, the lines go away OK but then I cant run SimCity!!!!!!!
>>
>> Is there a known problem with the card/driver? does anyone have a fix?

>I see the same thing with the ATI SVGA driver... With XFree3.1.2.
>XFree3.1.1 (even linked against the Gnu malloc under stable here works
>ok... it's just 3.1.2).

>I'm going to investigate further and report it to the XFree86 group.
>My 486 was out for repair -- so I didn't want to send results based
>only on my 386sx.

I am having the same trouble with a T4000W32p chip under whatever version
of XFree came with 2.0.5 on the CDROM, using the SVGA server.  When I
move the mouse pointer across the screen it seems to scrape off more of
the surface, and there are "holes" as well where letters (e.g. in
Netscape) are incomplete.  This chip is on a Diamond Stealth 32 card,
which is trouble all its own, but I can program the card's dot clocks
and get 1240x768 as well as 800x600 and 640x480.  I haven't succeeded in
making the _32 server work with this video card.  Is this a video
memory problem, perhaps?

Annelise

andrsn@hoover.stanford.edu