Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:44:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Thierry Besancon <Thierry.Besancon@lps.ens.fr>
Cc:        besancon@lps.ens.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting MFS without a swap partition

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Thierry Besancon wrote:

> About 2 months ago, you asked in questions@FreeBSD.ORG how to mount a MFS
> partition without any swap.
> I'm in the same configuration.
>
> Did you get any answer ? The thread in empty how your question...
>
> Thanks for any piece of information.

Thierry,

Unfortunately I never did receive a response about that.  I'm CC'ing this
message to -hackers in the hopes of a suggestion.

Essentially, the problem is as follows -- mount_mfs appears to require a
device that it can associate itself with; this is normally the name of the
swap device used.  However, if you use vnconfig and a swap file, you do
not have a swap file exactly; or at least, you do, but apparently
mount_mfs does not like vn0b.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how
to go about doing this when using only swap files on a machine?

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/