Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 14:38:21 -1000
From:      "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embeded applications?

On 22 May 98 at 15:55, Mike Smith wrote:

> boot1/boot2 have no internal disk drive support - they depend entirely
> on the BIOS to read the disk from which they are trying to boot.
>
> So yes, all you need to do is duplicate the boot image on the flash
> disk.

BTW, the flash disk is access as drive=0x80, a hard drive.  Are there any
issues with boot1/boo2 accessing it as drive=0x80 ?

do you have any ideas on how I can transfer the image over to flash?
or do you still think I can use diskcopy?

> > Yes, although I have 8MB Flash memory to play with.
>
> In this case, you might want to consider writing a driver that knows
> how to talk directly to the flash.  This would let you use the parts of
> the flash that aren't holding the boot image to store parameter
> information.

That would be ideal.  Any ideas on where to start ?
Actually the flash is composed of two 4MB NAND chips soldered on the main board.
And I can partition the chips as two separate 4MB drives.  However, Mesa
Electronics wrote their own BIOS support for them.  I need to check with them if
they are willing to give out the specs for accessing the flash chips directly.

> > BTW, Mike the PC/104 board that I am using is from Mesa Electronics
> > 4c27 which is using the Crystal CS8900 ethernet chip.  Do you know if
> > anyone is working on a driver for this chip?
>
> Yes, I have a driver here waiting for me to obtain a suitable IBM
> ethernet card for testing.  It's designed for the IBM Etherjet cards,
> but it should work Just Fine.
>
> Let me know if/when you want it, and I'll put it up for fetching.  I
> hope to have the hardware involved next week.

Great!  Will it work with 2.2.6 Release ?
I would like to try it out asap, I am trying to meet some deadlines for this
project.  I could do some test for you as well.

Randal Masutani