Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:32:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Edmund_L_Mulligan@armstrong.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Hardware in FreeBSD

> There are versions of the Celeron on the way that do have some L2 cache on
> board, but only 128 instead of 512(?).

	I've had some pretty good luck with AMD chips. They're still a heck
of a lot cheaper then Celeron or PII chips, seem to run as well and
fast and in some cases better then PII, plus the motherboards are
cheaper too for the same quality!

> suggestion.  Something to dream about, but probably not a reality.  You've
> probably made the motherboard 2 to 3 times more expensive.

	On the other hand I've got SCSI all around, Quantum Viking II and
Atlas II 4.+ gig hard drives, using Asus SC-875 SCSI Cards runs pretty
dang well. I just did a major upgrade for about $600 on one of my
computers...

> The Celeron uses the same socket, but a different support system.  The chip will
> fit into the socket but may or may not be mechanically secure.  It uses a

	The Celeron uses Intel's 'Slot II' technology, which is of course,
different enough from the 'inferior' Slot I technology.

> I considered this option as well, until I saw that the price difference between
> it and the regular PII really wasn't enough to make a difference.  Besides, you

	As did I. What really stopped me from going Pentium II of any flavor
is the stupid ATX design. All the higher end Motherboards I'd use with
Pentium II only come in ATX style, as clumsy as I am I know I'd hit that
soft push power button and screw my system completly. :)

					Rick