Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:49:31 +0100
From:      Paolo Losi <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@earth.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: systat -vmstat or iostat IO help

Hi,

>:Mem: 138M Active, 661M Inact, 114M Wired, 48M Cache, 112M Buf, 44M Free
>:Swap: 1612M Total, 16K Used, 1612M Free
>:
>:Yes I know it has too much memory, but I'm surprised why more isn't used
>:for disk caching ....

    It will use all available memory for disk caching if possible, but it
    only caches things you've accessed at least once so I would say you
    simply haven't accessed more then 650MB or so worth of file data.

Is it correct to say that cached file data (file content)
is taken into account in Active/Inactive/Cached page counters if and only if
accessed through the mmap interface? What does it happen when a process
access file data through the filesystem interface (open/read/close)?
Is it correct to say that in this case the Buffer counter gives you
the detail on how much file data is cached?
This should be how the old 4.4BSD works....

I know that the buffer cache management has been merged with
the paging system in FreeBSD but I do not know if the above
statements still hold true.

	Thanks
	Paolo

P.S. Matt, your mentoring job is invaluable :)