Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2016 18:18:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php56-pgsql dependency

--plMp5EKK2AFkSKF7IIoXDsC3dWmHqb1RG
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

--iXt0X8pHoRL6aDl0c8FOQjsx6gmgThGBH

On 07/08/16 17:41, Paul Pathiakis wrote:
> This seems to (also) depend on postgresql93-client.  Could this be
> bumped to postgresql94-client?
>=20

postgresql-9.3.x is the default version of postgresql in the ports at
the moment.  If you build your own packages it's pretty simple to change
to a newer version: something like

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3D pgsql=3D94

in make.conf will do the trick.

However, so long as you aren't trying to install postgresql94-server on
the same machine, there really isn't a huge amount of difference between
any of the postgresqlXX-client packages.  If you do need an instance of
postgresql94-server on the same hardware that's tricker.  Probably the
best bet at the moment is imaginative use of jails to separate your
web-tier from your database tier.  It's not just easier to manage the
dependencies, but it makes good security sense too.

Having said that, I'd be happy to see the default version of Postgresql
bumped up to 95 nowadays.

	Cheers,

	Matthew