Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 23:56:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don Croyle: make world failing at ppp install (again)

> Running ppp does _NOT_ *requires* write access to the routing table,
> this is much much much better handled by properly configuring
> a real routing daemon and running real routing protocols.

Bzzt, thanks for playing, but for 99.9999999% of the folks who run a PPP
connection, a 'real routing daemon' is way overkill and will cause them
no-end of headaches.

> Infact I have to go to great pains to _stop_ what ppp tries to do to
> the routing tables, gated handles it MUCH better!

Gated handles nothing better unless you've got a spare 40 hours to
dedicate to figuring out how it works.  Gated is only necessary if
you've got multiple 'routes', and most (see above) folks have a single
network connection which is their PPP link.

Engineering is finding the best solution for most folks, optimizing it
for it while trying to not penalize the rest of the folks.  What ijppp
does is take the engineering approach, and not find the 'best/most
complicated/gated' solution.

Nate