Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:29:09 -0700
From:      "Timothy T. Smith" <tim@v-com.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   using sysinstall to add ports?

First let me say, that I usually just run the make in the skeleton of the
port I'm interested and normally that's about it.

But, I decided to use Sysintsall this time round.

Hmmm. Bad choice?

Well, I go through to try to install a port (via FTP) and it certainly looks
like it's downloading something and doing a pkg_add and all, but after all
is said and done I have nada.

Looking at the ports menu, there is an X that marks the port. So, something
thinks it's installed. But I certainly can't find it. No tarball to be
found. Running make, it wants to download the tarball again.

Maybe I don't understand what's supposed to be happening when I use
Sysinstall to install a port. I tried pouring through the site, but couldn't
find anything to really describe the process. Just a lot about using
pkg_add, which I haven't needed to use...yet.

So, in reagard to Sysinstall to install a port....

1. What's it really do?

2. How can I verify that it really did it?

3. What am I expected to do afterwards?

4. How can I tell what ports are REALLY installed?

Thanks, Tim.

Timothy T. Smith 		V Communications Inc.
				2290 North First Street
Manager 			suite #101
IT Dept.			San Jose CA 95131
				main:(408)-965-4000
tim@v-com.com			fax:(408)-965-4014

"You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
                                        		-- Calvin and Hobbs