Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:41:58 -0500
From:      "Jason Cribbins" <jasonc@concentric.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unable to get natd/ipfw to work properly

Can someone help me past this error I am getting when trying to use natd and
ipfw
Nov  4 04:24:33 mail /kernel: IP packet filtering initialized, divert
disabled, rule-based forwarding disabled, default to deny, logging disabled
Nov  4 04:24:33 mail /kernel: ip_fw_ctl: invalid command

I also get the same error when I enter:
# ipfw add divert 32000 ip from any to any via lnc0
ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument

I am working off information from more than one source including FreeBSD
Handbook, FreeBSD Diaries and a FreeBSD book.  Each has a somewhat different
way to set this up and I have tried each individually without any success.
the one thing in common between them is usually the ipfw command and thats
the one thing that fails every single time.

Any ideas?