Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:39:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Sake Blok <sake@euronet.nl>
To:        gme@sundial.net (George M. Ellenburg)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subnetting, Firewalls, Class C's

> Suffering from a cold, and heavy medication, I wish to run the
> following by some of you to confirm or deny that this subnetting
> example will work; everything tells me yes, but I would appreciate a
> second opinion:
>
> ip ranges               netmask
> 204.181.150.1 -
> 204.181.150.14  255.255.255.240
>
> 204.181.150.17 -
> 204.181.150.30  255.255.255.240
>
> 204.181.150.33 -
> 204.181.150.46  255.255.255.240
>
> 204.181.150.49 -
> 204.181.150.54  255.255.255.248
>
> 204.181.150.57 -
> 204.181.150.254 255.255.255.56

A subnet must always be a power of 2 big or else the subnetmasking will
not work. You have to split the last entry up into 3 sections:

204.181.150.57 -
204.181.150.62   255.255.255.248

204.181.150.65 -
204.181.150.126  255.255.255.192

and

204.181.150.129 -
204.181.150.254  255.255.255.128

At least, that is what you have to do if you don't want to change the
first 4 subnets.

Sake
--
Sake Blok                            * *      EuroNet Internet
Client Services Team               *     *    Herengracht 208 - 214