Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2019 01:22:50 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multi-volume archives

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

MJ wrote:
>=20
> >
> > Which is now the most convenient way to create multi-volume archives? To
> > fit an archive on a FAT32 flash drive, a volume size should not exceed =
4g.

> > I have traditionally used "tar | split" to pack, then "cat | tar" to
> > unpack. But split is very slow, and generally this way is clumsy.
> >
> > I don't want to use "zip -s" either, because I think zip does not
> > preserve symlinks, hardlinks, permissions... to cut a long story short,
> > I don't believe in zip as a Unix archiver.
> >
> > Any more ideas?
>=20
>=20
> Hi Victor,
>=20
> If you don't like zip, what about 7zip? It has volumes which allow you to=
 break it up on the fly into parts

Hmm, maybe 7z in tar mode. It does not preserve permissions in 7-zip mode.

> Whether this is overall faster than tar|split is unknown.

"7z a -ttar -v2G" seems indeed faster than tar|split

I just don't know if its tar format can be trusted to preserve the metadata=
=2E=20

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/