Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:45:58 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ICMP_BANDLIM

* John <papalia@udel.edu> [000209 11:40] wrote:
> >> Hey all...
> >>
> >> With all the attacks going on on yahoo, ebay, etrade, etc, it reminded of a
> >> question I had a while back but forgot to ask...
> >>
> >> What exactly does the "ICMP_BANDLIM" kernel option do to provide
> >> 'protection'?  Not much in the LINT file on it, and I can't search, so I
> >> thought I'd ask :)
> >
> >It restricts the amount of responces you will send in responce to bad
> >packets.
> >
> >If someone is sending you 100mbit of grabage down your pipe, you don't
> >want to overload the system and connection by forcing it to respond
> >to each and every packet.
>
> So, in other words, it's pretty much a choke you put on your reponse (ex:
> answer only 1 in every 1,000 ping requests you get from a particular IP ?).

more like X per second, you'll only respond to the first 100/200/whatever
packets you get in a second, see:

~ % sysctl -a | grep icmp
net.inet.icmp.maskrepl: 0
net.inet.icmp.icmplim: 200          <------ here
net.inet.icmp.drop_redirect: 0
net.inet.icmp.log_redirect: 0
net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho: 0

>  If so, are there dynamic settings to it? Or is just a single kernel option
> with no settings?  And I'm also assuming that ICMP_BANDLIM is also a
> stopper for ALL network traffic (overload), not just particular items?

You can use sysctl to twiddle the limit.

You can also try a patch I have for 3.x which is Warner's work backported
from 4.0, I'd like to know if this 'helps' at all:

http://www.freebsd.org/~alfred/releng3_tcp_fix.diff

-Alfred