Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2017 08:01:11 +0200
From:      "Bradley T. Hughes" <bhughes@freebsd.org>
To:        Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <stdin@niklaas.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building my own poudriere build system

> On 22 Jun 2017, at 18:05, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff via =
freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:

[snip]

> This was theory. Practice is a bit more difficult, but I managed
> to create a Terraform [1] skeleton that does that in principal:
>=20
>  https://github.com/niklaas/port-builder
>=20
> But I keep on wondering: How do you manage to build greater
> amounts of packages or do crossbuilding? I cannot imagine
> everybody having a high-end machine standing in the living room
> -- but maybe my assumption about FreeBSD developers and port
> maintainers are wrong. :-) On the web, here and there I found
> someone having the same idea and having implemented it with some
> scripts, but I haven't found a proven/official solution yet. How
> do you approach this? Do you build in the cloud or locally?

I build in the cloud. Like you, I use an EC2 instance with poudriere and =
multiple versions of jails to test changes/patches. I haven't gone as =
far as to copy the packages to S3, though. My builder is running 24/7, =
and I've been using spot instances to keep the cost down despite using =
an m4.2xlarge.

I like your Terraform skeleton. I have often wanted to do something =
similar, but never gotten around to it. I am curious how far you will be =
able to take it.

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad I'm not the only one using EC2 for building =
ports :)

--
Bradley T. Hughes
bhughes@freebsd.org