Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:33:53 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        security-team@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook URL

On 2002-08-01 17:07:12 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> The www team recently changed the layout of the web site so
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ no longer points to the handbook.
> This means the "recompile your kernel as described in..." links in all
> out security advisories are dead.  I would like to strongly urge the
> www team to make /handbook point to /doc/en/handbook.

Hi,

I added a redirect /handbook -> /doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
on www.freebsd.org.

Note: this redirect will only work on the main web site
and not on the mirror sites.

ps: IMHO it was an evil idea to put the character set into
    a directory name. The redirect will work until someone
    change the character set (ISO8859-15 or UTF32) ....

-Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@FreeBSD.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org