Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 01:57:50 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fetchmail Questions

	Ok, couple of quick questions about fetchmail.

	1.  I'm looking into setting things up so that users will have two choices
for fetchmail on our main server.  Choice 1 will allow the user to have
their mail automatically fetched by fetchmail for them every 15
minutes.  Choice 2 would be to set their account so that as soon as they
login it automatically kicks in fetchmail and downloads their email.

	Now, my question is this.  How would I set this up?  I'm not sure how to
give the user the choice between these two without a lot of really messed
up hacks and work-arounds.

	2.  I understand doing a process via cron per user, especially for
fetchmail, but not system wide were it's user independent and on a user
choice system, so if the user chooses to have cron fire up fetchmail and
get their mail it gets it for them without having to have the process in
their name in cron or any user interaction.  It just wakes up every 15
minutes, does it's thing and goes to sleep.

	3.  Looking for a way to setup fetchmail so that as a second choice they
can login and fetchmail kicks in automatically rather than having it do its
thing via cron.

	I'm just throwing these questions out here because one of my techs brought
the ideas to me after finding out his ISP does much the same thing.  It's a
great idea and all, but I'm baffled on how to employ it exactly.  (probably
shouldn't have opened my mouth the first time about fetchmail for my
vacation.  I'm swimming in deep water now.  hehe)  Probably because I've
never worked with fetchmail up until about a week ago.  Thanks for all your
help guys, and I promise to shut my mouth more often.  These tech
suggestions from my daily blurbs is starting to add up.  hehe.  AKA.  I
have a habit of open mouth, get stuck with a new thing to do.  :)