Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:07:18 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Mike Burrell <mike@wizardlike.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing on zx6000

On Jun 21, 2012, at 1:47 PM, Mike Burrell wrote:
> FreeBSD/ia64 EFI boot, Revision 3.1
> /boot/kernel/kernel data=0xfef1f8+0x82710 syms=[0x8+0x0xb1120+0x8+0xa62a9]
> \
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
> Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0x9ffc000000010500...
>
> At that point, it either hangs indefinitely or does a hard reset after a
> few seconds. No matter which version of FreeBSD I try to install, I've
> never been able to get past the "Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at ..."

Are you using a serial console?

If not: start there. You may need to change hw.uart.console to match the
hardware. By default it's set to the legacy PC COM1 port, which isn't
there on HP. Normally this is not a problem, because the HCDP table is
used -- but this means you need to use a serial console to begin with.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel@xcllnt.net