Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:28:22 -0700
From:      Swen Kabis <swen@wavefire.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overclocking

At 09:58 PM 7/26/99 +0200, you wrote:

>In message <<Pine.BSF.4.05.9907261205510.17960-100000@harlie.bfd.com>, "Eric J.

>Schwertfeger" writes:

>>Much of the practicality of overclocking comes from the family of chips.

>>The same fabrication process is used for PPGA Celerons from 333mhz up to

>>the latest 500mhz, so I wouldn't expect you to damage CPU or motherboard

>>overclocking a PPGA 333 by 50%, as long as you didn't tweak the voltage in

>>order to make it run.

>It can be said as simple as this:  "You Are Wrong".  Running the chip

>at higher clock will lead to increased heat generation, which isn't a

>good thing for your silicon.

>Rule #1:

>	Do not Overclock.

>Rule #2:

>	If you overclock, do not complain that things don't work.

If you have enough airflow in your machine, an overclock on a 333 up to 50% won't conceivably do any damage. But considering the state of computers nowadays, anything can happen.

I personally had a PII 366 die after 3 hours of running... just for the hell of it, so if you can overclock your machine and use some braincells when you do it... more power to you

Swen

<bold>~