Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 06:06:37 -0700
From:      Tom Wiebe <twiebe@mac.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secondary Mail Server??

> Just before you go to bed, CommuniGate might be a candidate for you. I am
> currently
> evaluating it and seriously considering changing from the wonderful world
> of Exim.
> See http://www.stalker.com

I am very familiar with Communigate Pro. My current email server is
Stalker's excellent SIMS (Stalker Internet Mail Server), which is free.

Now, I'm not adverse in any way to paying for software, heck, I've got
thousands of dollars worth of 4D database licenses. But, Stalker is
definitely targetting a much higher end customer than I am with
Communigate Pro.

I don't need webmail, list management, IMAP or any of the dozens of other
wonderful features that Communigate Pro offers and I just can't justify
the $1500 or so CDN that the license I would need will cost.

I hope and pray every day that Stalker will come out with a lite version
of Communigate Pro. I'd love to give them my money, they are a fabulous
company with great products. Just not the right product for my needs going
forward, financially at least.

For those of you that haven't heard of SIMS, it's a great little email
server, offering POP and SMTP with really strong anti-spam features and a
very powerful router that is incredibly easy to set up and administer. It
runs only on Classic Mac OS and Stalker has no plans to upgrade it at this
time to run on OS X or any other flavour of Unix.

I'll continue to run it for the time being, until I feel brave enough to
step my foot into the nasty, confusing world of Open source MTA's or
Stalker releases a stripped down version of Communigate.

Tom Wiebe

The Image Foundation
http://www.imagefoundation.com/
(604) 688-3124