Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:59:57 +0200
From:      _kr <reynolds@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpd stay dead on disk I/O

Hello,

I got a serious problem with lpd on my print-server running FreeBSD
4.1.1-RELEASE; "sometimes" (I think it happens when very large files are
printed or when printer has troubles with memory) printers hang (usually
around 95% of job) and lpd falls dead, this is what it looks like with ps:

34131  ??  D     10:01.48 /usr/sbin/lpd

the process becomes unkillable (even turning into single user mode) and
also removing the lock file and restarting lpd helps since new process
cannot recognize printers (messages like "printer offline" "printing
disable"...); the only way to return to a proper status I found until
now was rebooting but I don't like rebooting... :) so does anyone have a
clue about that?

ps: printers are:

- HP laserjet 1100
- Epson Stylus Photo 870

they get jobs from machines running windows 98 (on samba) and linux
(slackware 2.4.5 kernel)

--
Lorenzo Scano