Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:43:07 +0200
From:      Claude Buisson <clbuisson@orange.fr>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10-CURRENT and 9-STABLE snapshots
References:  <1349727367645-5750424.post@n5.nabble.com> <50754E24.4040903@orange.fr> <1349873186577-5750838.post@n5.nabble.com> <5075AA96.6050101@orange.fr> <CAN6yY1v0CHXz-FE=1OZmTvY4T5SmSX5zLvrzL1PzWGMeLSmTHg@mail.gmail.com> <op.wlzmeqzkg7njmm@michael-think> <20121011000901.GK10429@glenbarber.us> <50761430.8090306@orange.fr> <20121011005218.GM10429@glenbarber.us> <5076A28D.509@orange.fr> <20121011113417.GN10429@glenbarber.us>

On 10/11/2012 13:34, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:42:21PM +0200, Claude Buisson wrote:
>> I understood that. At a time I have been in that situation, but to be there I
>> had to "sell" the use of FreeBSD at my $WORK, and started with a single machine
>> and limited ressources. So the existence of a cluster even for people doing real
>> production work with FreeBSD is not a given.
>>

> Fair enough point.
>

>>> As mentioned in today's earlier announcement for 9.1-RC2, however, CVS
>>> backporting from SVN will continue to be done for the stable/9 branch.
>>>

>> One of the starting point of this thread have been that according to cvsweb,
>> there does not seem to have been any update of releng7, releng8, and releng9 at
>> least since October 5 or 6, which is confirmed by cvsup1.fr.freebsd.org (I have
>> just done the test for releng8).
>>
>> So something is not working somewhere, and someone may ask "do somebody care
>> about it ?"
>>
>> Sorry to have started so long a thread. I asked essentially the same questions
>> about cvs/csup/mirrors, etc more than a year ago without real answer..
>>

> Sorry if your original email about the mirror went overlooked or
> unanswered.
>
> Can you please file a PR about cvsup1.fr ?  There are two immediate
> issues regarding that:

I do not see a real interest of filling a PR for cvsup1.fr. I have just done the
same test with the same result with cvsup5.de and cvsup10.us.

www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ have all cvsup mirrors in red, and IIRC
someone wrote on hubs@ that the current test for mirrors was flawed because it
tried at a now inexistent file. And someone else wrote that the project does not
want anymore mirrors which are not under its direct control.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong in the chain, for now 6 days, and
if nobody in the project noticed, it was only the demonstration that nobody
cares anymore.

I definitively switched to svn (sigh) on October 6th, and do want to be the
eternal whistle blower on that subject.

>   1.) I (personally) do not have a way to check on the status of that
>   machine's syncing;
>   2.) Some machines within the FreeBSD.org infrastructure are being moved
>   around/upgraded/duct-taped, etc.  So, while thus far it has been
>   minimal, user-facing issues may have occurred.  So, until all of the
>   moving "things" around is done, a PR will be the best way to ensure
>   your report does not further go unanswered.

It is clear that there have been a problem at least with lists.freebsd.org, but
what astonishes me is the fact that in our glorious 21th century, nobody thought
to inform people on the mailing lists, or on the home page of www.freebsd.org
(no, I do not want to be on Twitter or FaceBook for that kind of information).

> Glen

Thank you for taking the pain of reading my emails.

Claude Buisson