Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:24:16 +0000
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Typing Injuries

I've recently started suffering from symptoms of repetitive strain injury
(tingling in my hands, pain in my elbow, aching tendons), and although my
doctor assures me it's not arthritis, he seemed a bit lost as regards any
further suggestions.

So today I've been reading www.tifaq.org (Typing Injury FAQ) and while I
can do things like improving my posture, I'm looking at different input
devices as a major part of nipping this in the bud.

I need something to type with, and something to point with, and thought
that people on this list might possibly have some suggestions (you'll have
to cc me please, as I'm not subscribed).

I've got a microsoft intellimouse (the older ones, 1.1 I think)
and a natural keyboard at home, and one of those horrible compaq deskpro
keyboard + mouse at work. I'm looking to change both of these, but want
to have the same keyboard/pointer pair at both, so cost is going to be
a factor in my decision, unfortunately.

I'm currently thinking about this keyboard :
    http://www.dvortyboards.com/typematrix2020_info.html

It's got a decent layout which should make life easier, and switches
between Dvorak and Qwerty layouts at the flick of a switch (Dvorak is
apparently a good way of reducing keyboard related stress), which would
be very good for me.

I'm lost for ideas on mice.

Also, if any posters in the UK know of any institution I can contact for
further advice then that would be great.

Thanks,

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on