Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2023 13:51:40 +0000
From:      "Dave Cottlehuber" <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what's the Correct git update method keeping local changes

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023, at 10:37, Pat Maddox wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2023, at 1:39 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
>>
>> I use the rebase workflow for pending ports commit work.
>
> Most of the replies say something similar. What are people=E2=80=99s=20
> experiences with poudriere overlay dire?
>
> Pat

I think this is largely a matter of familiarity with git. If
you have a pile of local ports, in your own category, then
an overlay is just fine, but then you have 2 separate repos
to manage.

As soon as you decide you want to pin an upstream port, or
make some customisation that hasn't been accepted upstream
yet, then having a single ports tree and rebasing periodically
is really nice. You can revert an upstream commit you don't
want, or keep an additional one, and it all just floats
up the top.=20

Resolving conflicts is mostly a matter of adjusting various
PORTREVISION changes, occasionally you need more extensive
fixes ofc if the ports or patches it includes shifts too
far.

I like knowing that my entire environment comes down to 2
commits, one in src repo, another in ports repo, and that's
very easy to reproduce.

A+
Dave