Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:21:23 +0300
From:      Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Marten Vijn <info@martenvijn.nl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, jakub_lach@mailplus.pl
Subject:   Re: 9.1 minimal ram requirements

On 23 December 2012 10:22, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 03:45:39 +0300, Sergey Kandaurov wrote:
>  > This (i.e. the "kmem_map too small" message seen with kernel memory
>  > shortage) could be due to CAM CTL ('device ctl' added in 9.1), which is
>  > quite a big kernel memory consumer.
>  > Try to disable CTL in loader with kern.cam.ctl.disable=1 to finish boot.
>
> I've just added that, thanks Sergey, but it's sadly not an option for
> installation.  I guess it's too late for the release notes - which at
> RC3 made no mention of CAM CTL at all - but it's not yet clear to me
> whether even 256MB is enough to boot, install and run 9.1 GENERIC?

If you perform clean installation (e.g. from ISO), you can escape to the
loader prompt and set the tunable there w/o the need for /boot/loader.conf.
I experimented with Vbox and AFAIK 256MB was enough even with CAM CTL.

>  > A longer term workaround could be to postpone those memory allocations
>  > until the first call to CTL.
>
> Under what circumstances is CAM CTL needed?  What would leaving it out
> of GENERIC cost, and whom?  Is it loadable?  dmesg.boot reports loading,
> but I don't see a module, nor can I find much information about CTL in
> cam(3|4) or /sys/conf/NOTES.  apropos found ctladm and ctlstat, but I'm
> little the wiser as to when it may be needed, beyond CAM/SCSI debugging?

The purpose and current status are well documented in the initial commit
message (r229997) and the supplied README.ctl.txt. To my modest knowledge,
it should be safe to just comment out 'device ctl' in GENERIC.

--
wbr,
pluknet