Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:49:33 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        "Timothy T. Smith" <tim@v-com.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using sysinstall to add ports?

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 at 19:29:09 -0700, Timothy T. Smith wrote:
> First let me say, that I usually just run the make in the skeleton
> of the port I'm interested and normally that's about it.
>
> But, I decided to use Sysintsall this time round.
>
> Hmmm. Bad choice?
>
> Well, I go through to try to install a port (via FTP) and it
> certainly looks like it's downloading something and doing a pkg_add
> and all, but after all is said and done I have nada.
>
> Looking at the ports menu, there is an X that marks the port. So,
> something thinks it's installed. But I certainly can't find it. No
> tarball to be found. Running make, it wants to download the tarball
> again.

Correct, it's a _package_ being installed, not a port.. two separate
animals =)

> Maybe I don't understand what's supposed to be happening when I use
> Sysinstall to install a port. I tried pouring through the site, but
> couldn't find anything to really describe the process. Just a lot
> about using pkg_add, which I haven't needed to use...yet.

You're not installing ports through sysinstall, you're installing a
package.  It's doing everything it's supposed to do, just not what
you're expecting =)

> So, in reagard to Sysinstall to install a port....
>
> 1. What's it really do?

Installs the binary package, not a port.

> 2. How can I verify that it really did it?

Run what you installed.

> 3. What am I expected to do afterwards?

Run what you installed.

> 4. How can I tell what ports are REALLY installed?

ls /var/db/pkg

--
Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@blues.ghis.net    ,-._|\  FreeBSD
work: Global Hosting Inet Svcs  http://www.ghis.net/ /      \ The